The Goulburn Weir
The Goulburn Weir was built between 1887 and early 1891 across the Goulburn River near Nagambie, Victoria, Australia. It was the first major diversion structure built for irrigation development in Australia. The weir also forms Lake Nagambie where rowing regattas and waterskiing tournaments are held. The weir is 209 metres long by about 16 metres high. The structure also contained one of the first hydro-electric turbines in the southern hemisphere, used to supply power for lifting and lighting.
Its design was considered very advanced for its time, so much so that it featured on the back of half sovereign and ten shilling notes from 1913 to 1933.
A distinctive feature of currency notes designed in the 1930's was the use of artwork by Frank Manley based on bas-relief panels originally designed by artist Paul Raphael Montford. These panels represented various sectors of the Australian economic life :
- Manufacturing – Ten shilling note
- Pastoral – One pound note
- Commerce – Five pound note
- Agriculture – Ten pound note
- Mining – Fifty pound note
- Dairying – One hundred pound note
Old Parliament House
Old Parliament House was home to Australia's Federal Parliament from 1927 to 1988 and is now a nationally listed heritage building in Parkes, Canberra. After World War I the Federal Capital Advisory Committee was established to prepare Canberra to be the seat of government, including the construction of a Parliament House. The committee decided that it would be best to erect a "provisional" building, to serve for a predicted 50 years until a new, "permanent" House could be built. In the event, Old Parliament House was Parliament's home for 61 years.
Matthew Flinders was born on 16 March 1774 at Donington, Lincolnshire. He was educated at Donington Grammar School and entered the navy in 1789. In 1791 he served with diligence under William Bligh as midshipman on a voyage to Tahiti and, returning to England, saw action in H.M.S. Bellerophon at the naval battle of the Glorious First of June 1794.
Promoted commander in February, he was selected to command H.M.S. Investigator, 334 tons, with instructions from the Admiralty to explore in detail, among other places, that part of the south Australian coastline, then referred to as 'the Unknown Coast', which stretched eastwards from the head of the Great Australian Bight to the Victorian border. In April 1801 he had married Ann Chappell of Lincolnshire.
Matthew Flinders was among the world's most accomplished navigators and hydrographers, though his exploration was mostly made in unsuitable, leaky or rotten ships. To ensure that his observations were as accurate as possible and that nothing important was overlooked, his constant practice was to stand his ship off shore at dusk and run back each morning to where the previous day's work had ended. Each bearing and angle in his charting was taken by himself either from the deck or the mast-head and the results worked up by him each night.
On 14 June 1810 Flinders sailed for England. He arrived on 23 October and received belated promotion to post captain. In failing health he prepared his monumental work A Voyage to Terra Australis: it was published on 18 July 1814, the day before he died. He was buried at St James's, Hampstead Road, but later alterations to the churchyard have obliterated his grave, so he was 'pursued by disaster after death as in life'.